- The profile
The profile of the average university part-time teacher as revealed in the survey
This is the average data for part-time teachers who work mainly in universities as part-timers. Please see the main text for other facts and comments which you will not find in the data below.
- Sex: Females: 55%, males: 45%.
- Nationality: 76% have Japanese nationality and 24% have a foreign nationality.
- Age: Average age: 45.3.
- Income: Average annual income: 3,060,000 yen (44% are under 2,500,000 yen).
- Costs: Average costs incurred by lessons and related research are 270,000 yen, most of which is not reimbursed.
- Length: Average length of service: 11 years.
- Classes: Average number of schools (workplaces): 3.1. Average number of classes: 9.2.
- Insurance: 96% are not enrolled in Social Insurance in the workplace. 75% are self-enrolled in National Health Insurance and 15% are insured as dependents of parents or spouses. The average yearly National Health Insurance premium is 264,000 yen (8.6% of average annual income), and combined with the National Pension premium (166,320 yen) it amounts to 13% of average annual income.
- Non-renewal: 50% have experienced a contract non-renewal.
- Rights: Only 27% know that part-time teachers are eligible for Workers' Accident Compensation and only 21% know that there are universities with annual paid vacation systems for part-time teachers.
- Dissatisfaction: 95% feel some dissatisfaction regarding working and educational conditions. 'Lack of employment security', 'Low wages', 'Lack of Social Insurance', and 'Not treated as a researcher' are the main complaints.
Profile & Index
2 Income & Expenditure
3 Work style
4 Social Insurance
6 Free Comments